Rosacea is a common skin disorder that affects millions of Americans daily. It frequently begins as flushing, or flushing easily, then develops into a persistent redness on the nose, cheeks, and chin. Rosacea tends to appear as tiny blood vessels, small red bumps, or pus filled “pustules”. Many people mistake these bumps for acne, but unlike acne, blackheads do not develop. Rosacea can also affect the eyes causing them to be dry, burn, and have a gritty feeling.
There are many things that can cause rosacea to flare: foods, drinks, stress, and temperature are just a few. Here are some tips on avoiding these flare-ups:
- Learn the foods and drinks that cause your face to flush
- Caffeine, alcohol, spicy foods
- Protect your face from extreme temperatures
- Heat and cold
- Windy conditions
- Protect your skin from the sun
- SPF +30 with either Zinc Oxide or Titanium Dioxide (or both!)
- Wide brim hats
- Avoid overly rubbing, scrubbing, or exfoliating
- Try to avoid getting hairspray on the face
There are many modalities of treatment: creams, oral medications, laser treatments, or even becoming involved in clinical trials.
Certain product lines such as Revale really help to cut down on the inflammation and bumps. Also, Priori is a makeup line we just started carrying that uses Coffeeberry extract to help decrease redness and inflammation, as well as give you a good dose of antioxidants. This makeup has excellent coverage and a great sunscreen which is crucial in rosacea prone skin.
If you want more information on rosacea or would like to know your treatment options, call us! This is Key!